After three years, this time, I had a chance to stay in Kolkata during durga puja. For other reasons also initially I planned to spend the holiday in Kolkata itself. Decided to enjoy the days with friends and take complete rest. But as the time was approaching, was not feeling that enthusiastic to enjoy puja in Kolkata. At the final hour decided to spend the puja days some where outside Kolkata, to get complete rid of ‘puja hungama’. One of my friends informed me about a new tourist lodge by Govt. of W.B. located at a remote place having a fantastic view all around and it is only six hours journey from Kolkata.
Within three days, we (me and five of my friends) decided to enjoy our holidays in that tourist lodge. Our basic requirement was simple, be out of this seasonal madness. The place is very near to Mukutmonipur, a very well known tourist place of West Bengal. Name of the place is Baro Ghutu. Around 6-7 km from Mukutmonipur dam. A much lonely and remote place comparing to Mukutmonipur, but has much better view of the dam and Kangsabati water reservoir.
Staying at such a remote place you will not have much to do except, enjoying lovely view all around, a brisk walk in the near by villages, have lovely time with your friends in the open theater stage, and hire a car to enjoy a ride on the Kangsabati dam, world’s reportedly longest (10.8 km) man-made mud-banked fresh water barrage. Also, the place itself has its own attraction because of surrounding green forests picturesque hillocks. The food quality is also pretty good, you just need to place your order well ahead.
The place is best connected through train from Kolkata. Bus services are also available from Esplanade bus stand. Also you can drive to the place in five hours from Kolkata. It is only one hour by road from Bishnupur.
How to reach
- By train: Rupasi Bangla (2883) from Howrah at 6:00 A.M. Reach Bankura by 10:30 A.M. Hire a car and reach Bara Ghutu by 12:00 noon or take a bus till Mukutmonipur
- By Bus: Buses are available from Esplanade bus stand and take around 7-8 hours to reach Mukutmonipur
- By Road: From Kolkata it is around four hours drive. Take the Arambag route to reach Bishnupur and you need to drive one more hour.
Please keep in mind that Pancha Pally at Bara Ghutu is around 6-7 km from Mukutmonipur. You can take a van rikshwa or a car to reach Pancha Pally
Where to stay
- Pancha Pally by Govt. of W.B. and managed by local village people
- If want to stay at Mukutmonipur, prefer Peerles tourist lodge or Sonajuri by WBFDC
- Call : +91 99345 90399 / +91 99328 00931
- Address: pancha Pally Tourist Complex, Hill-Baraghutu, Vill-Jambadia, P.O.-Gorabari, Dist.- Bankura, West Bengal, India
Best time to visit
- Not in Summer