Digha or Shankarpur or Mandarmani are the places people usually choose for a weekend trip from Kolkata. I also have visited these places number of times. But this time I found a nice place, Sabuj ban. Literal mening is Green Jungle, and it is infact. One of my friends said, ‘Jungles are always green, what’s new in that?’ But we decided to spend our next weekend their instead of agreeing jungle are always green and are always better than jungle of concrete.
The place is not far. Very near to Shantinikatan, Bolpur. Around 200 K.M. from Kolkata. So we decided to go by road. Usually booking is the most difficult part of weekend tours. But in this case it is very simple. You confirm the availability of the room over phone and then transfer the advance amount to a particular bank account. You are done. At most what you can do is re-confirm your booking the day before you reach the place. You don’t need any booking receipt. All you need to have is a receipt showing the transaction from your account to the other account.
When we reached the place, it was around 12:00 noon and the weather was quite hot. But the cottages were made of clay and thatch roof and very cool. Rooms were big and clean. Though we hardly spent time inside the room. It was really green all-around. The entire area is around 120 bigha and most of the area is covered either by different big / small trees and water bodies.
Small covered setting arrangements are made so that you can feel the ambience with your friends. The place is not for doing site seeing or follow a schedule activities that most of the tourist places offers. This place not for the people who mesure their tours by number of activities they do, or number of places they visit. It is just to enjoy your leisure time being close to nature. Only thing you can / should do is to enjoy the nature. The Ajoy river is very nearby. In the evening we stroll along the bed of the river and enjoyed a nice sunset. As full moon was very close, may be just after two days, the river bed was looking excellent in the moonlight. We spend around two hours before coming back to our cottage.
We spend one night and started for Kolkata after having lunch in the next day. Two things we liked most about the place. One is of course the ‘green’ and complete absence of concrete. And the second is the humbleness of the people. We were really surprised to see every body over there was so humble and caring about the guests. We are sure that sooner or later we are going visit the place again.
A very nice place to enjoy your leisure time.
How to reach
- By road around 200 K.M. from Kolkata
- Also well connected by rail from Kolkata. Nearest railway station Bolpur
Where to stay
- Currently there are 7 cottages
- Double bed rooms are 500 per day and triple bed rooms are 700 per day
- Call Mr. Abdus Salim cell : 093337 46244 / 099325 89244
- Office phone number 03463 645035
- email: email@example.com
- Address: Sabuj Ban, Rasulpur, P.O.-Panchsowa, Via – Bolpur (Santiniketan), WB
- Take NH2 and travel till Darjeeling more. Around 155 Km from Kolkata
- Take a right turn from Darjeeling more and reach Illambazar More, around 24 Km
- From Illmabazar take a right turn towards bolpur
- After traveling around 8.5 Km the road has diverted into V shape, take the right one
- After around 5.5 Km a residential complex of IOL will appear at the left side, and you follow the road on the right side
- After another 3.5 Km you will see a toll, you need to follow the road on the left side, before the toll, towards Rasulpur more
- You need to pay another toll tax at Rasulpur more, around 5.5 Km
- From here you take right turn and another 4 Km drive will take you to the Sabujban
Overall condition of the road is pretty good. But once you take the right turn from the IOL Complex, you need to drive a bit carefully. But it should not be a major issue. From Kolkata to Sabujban total driving hour is around 4 hours.