Almost two years back one my friends told me about Tajpur. He visited Tajpur just for few hours but felt that it would be a nice place for one-two days week end trip. Based on his suggestion and few internet sites we choose Tajpur as our next weekend trip. Most of the time we have planned for coastal area of West Bengal, it was always either Digha or Shankarpur. So this time we choose different root, Tajpur.
Tajpur is a sea site in West Bengal between two another most common sea sites Mandarmani and Shankarpur. It is around 180 KM from Kolkata by road. Well, it is possible to reach there by train also but that would be a long journey. You have to goto Digha first and then come back to Tajpur by road, around 15 KM. To reach Tajpur you have to have your private vehicle as you need to take a detour from the main Digha-Kathi road after 4 KM from Chaulkhola more. From their you need to drive around 4 KM to reach the place but road condition is not very comfortable. In fact the road starts with a bituminous top and then becomes a mud road. But as the distance is short, this will not cause any serious issue.
As of now there are four five mid size hotels available for lodging. Few are coming up. All of the hotels are with basic facilities. The one we stayed was Tajpur Retreat. People were very very helpful and humble. Though the sea beach is not visible from any of the hotels in Tajpur, but it takes only 3-4 minutes walk to reach the beach. There are main two things we enjoyed in Tajpur. One is the dense forest of casuarina trees along the beach and the other is the beach itself. Some time you will have a feeling of owning the beach. And the red crabs on the beach surface. They are plenty. It looks like some one has rolled out a moving red carpet on the beach. But capturing them in camera is very tedious. After trying almost half an hour I managed one of them.
Overall we enjoyed a lot. Specially the beach. And people interested in adventure sports like Parasailing, Zorb, Sports climbing etc can have an add-on dimension in the tour. Tajpur Retreat is the only hotel in West Bengal who arranges all these activities.
A nice place for a weekend trip from Kolkata. Well connected by road and any bus plying Kolkata to Digha can take you to the place. You need to arrange your own vehicle for last 5 km.
- 180 KM fro Kolkata by road
- Reachable within four hours from Kolkata
- Road condition is pretty good except last 5 Km
- Electricity not available, hotels have their own generator that runs 6 P.M. to 6 A.M.
- Cell phone connection available
- Adventure sports arranged by Tajpur Retreat. Need book in advance
- In low tide, the sea moves quite far away from the beach line
- Few hotels available, some of them are Swapnapuri Hotel and Resort (4060-5152, 24635553), Hotel Tambim Inn(09831021244), Tajpur Nature Camp( 09831769790), Tajpur Retreat(09830271064)
- Best time to visit is winter. But any time in the year should be enjoyable
View Tajpur in a larger map